What's your glitch, Gene? Find out tonight at Music Box. Image: bam.org
Have a hankering to see absurdist 80′s parodies on the big screen? It’s your lucky night: The New Cult Canon will present “Wet Hot American Summer” tonight at Music Box Theatre (3733 N. Southport), hosted by AV Club staffer Scott Tobias and the film’s director David Wain. The 7:30 showing is sold out, but a 10:30 screening has been added. For more information and to purchase tickets, click here.
If you’ve never seen this 2001 gem, set on the last day of an East Coast summer camp in 1981, here are the top 5 highlights:
- A “going to town” montage to end all montages. McDonald’s french fries and heroin are involved.
- Amy Poehler as a psychotic drama teacher.
- A pre-’Hangover’ Bradley Cooper in a surprising love scene.
- Christopher Meloni screaming non-sequiturs as a traumatized Vietnam vet turned camp cook.
- Paul Rudd playing something other than the bland straight man with hilarious results, while sporting a jean jacket and short shorts.
This is a RedEye community blog. The views and opinions expressed in this post are solely those of the author and not those of RedEye or Tribune Company.